If you are following the diet section please read in date order starting from Jan 01, 2012.

Friday, January 13, 2012



I have many online friends in groups for weight loss surgery. I read about the difficulties they have. Some people need the control that is forced by the results of the surgery. When it is life or death that the weight needs to come off, it is a great tool. My point is that the surgery is a tool and not a magic wand.
I was looking for a magic wand.
I was too lazy to follow the outlines of any diet program. I wanted it easy. I still do.
Mmmmm, I would love a bagel. Or two.
That is my problem! I do not eat till I am sick or till I can't move. I do not eat ice cream from morning to night. I do enjoy my food and I love eating in restaurants.
I don't want to get sick every time I eat. Two ounces of food three times a day? Why have surgery? (This is not for discussion since I do realize that there are very good reasons for the weight loss surgery.)
It just isn't for me.
I have learned to do the things I need to CHANGE MY LIFE.
I have different eating habits now. For one, I eat constantly, now, while I ate in bursts before.
My body was ready for starvation. Yes, everything I ate was saved. My body never knew if I would refuel it in 2 hours or 10. It saved and it hoarded every morsel I shared. My jeans just continued to grow.
Three meals a day? Before, I waited all day for a large evening dinner. Now I eat 5 or more meals every day.
I plan my food. Some days I place a bunch of foods on the dining room table and just work away at them all day. I plan my food every day. Some times that plan is in my head but it always exists.
I plan my food when I go to the supermarket. I go often. I buy MY foods.
I do not eat salads in general but I do eat vegetables. I enjoy my vegetables microwaved a short time and then I nibble at them with low fat/low cal dressing. My rare salads are covered in tuna with all its protein goodness. I use low fat Catalina dressing.
When I am in the supermarket, I shop fast and get just what I need. Usually. Other times, I window shop. I wander the aisles and read labels. I think of new things to eat that are safe.
I take my vitamins.
I never thought much of vitamins before but I now have a wide variety that help me. I learned from my WLS friends that there were many supplements they needed to take. Biotin, B-12, D, C, potassium, magnesium.... I will explain what and why I the future.
The most important is protein.
I do not want to comb my hair one morning and find it falling out in clumps. Can you imagine how I felt for my friend when I read that?! The doctor told her that she wasn't getting enough protein. Simple solution. Consume more protein.
How do you consume enough protein with a stomach that holds 2 ounce meals and rejects a lot of them? Not easily. The general idea is to drink protein shakes.
I read a lot about protein shakes. Everyone has a recipe and a favorite brand protein powder. Basically, nobody likes them. I will share mine with you.
My diet is easy, lazy, healthy and works. As of this date, I have lost over 65 pounds in 6 months easily. I have not been hungry.
My posts will focus on different areas of the things I have found work for me. I hope they help you too.
Let's review the things we started in the past posts.
Use Index cards or a small notebook- write down everything you eat.
Track your liquids. Focus on increasing water amounts.
Weigh yourself. Measure yourself. Hide scale, tape measure.
Have you taken some photos for your records?
Increase your protein intake.
Don't worry about the carbs for now. Just don't have them early.
Start your day with protein.
One day at a time. Don't worry about the big picture. We will get there.
We have begun.